Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Yun hota toh kya hota..

I was born on 2nd April 1982 that was the happiest day for my parents! Ever since then, their first priority is always Me. They did their best to send me to best possible school in Indore, provide me everything required to prepare for IIT-JEE. All this without letting me know the pain of earning a single penny.

That’s the case with so many of us. Our parents take all the pain to provide best upbringing. And when we grow old we fell in the same cycle. We go out to earn and in a way there is actually a very small percentage of our life we spend with our parents, with our wife and with our kids for whom we get so busy to give them best nurturing.

I think our social structure is quite imbalance. It expects a lot during one time and leave free on the other. Why we have to work and set our career along with taking care of family at the same time? In the end most of us crib to compromise career for our family or not getting enough time for family.

Since I am born till 25 years of age, I spend for education, my parents taking care of me. From 25 to 40, I spend only on career. I shall work as hard as possible, doing as much as I can in these 15 years. And in a way this will improve my productivity as I know I have to work for these 15 years only! At 40, I get married and start my family. So if I live till 65-70 I will spend all the time with my wife and kids. I will never crib for not having time for my family. And no problem financially because I (and my spouse equally) have spent last 15 years building my career and earning. And in a way I get time for myself, my family i.e. my parents, wife, kids and friends.

Shouldn’t this be better?

6 comments:

Vipin Kumar said...

Thats what americans have been following for last 60 odd years.

They live for themselves for the most part of their life. They work hard and then they get married at the age of 40. Then they start a family, however when the kids reach their adulthood they again restart their old life..i.e. living for them again.

I guess, the choice is always in your hand...how do u want to live your life.

tough? right? :-)

Puneet Parakh said...

Americans get married late but they do work till 60... More so US has rather free society.. Parents stay alone as the kids move out when they grow old..
I want rather a more family phenomena in Indian context !!

pragyag said...

Very apt for post 'Choices'!
But given this choice I would rather opt for the current one only. I feel the love and care of family is much more yearned for and appreciated when I am trying to balance it with my work life. I feel things will get monotonous/frustrating/boring otherwise.
Still with the 'modernizing' society people are now more liberated to make their Choices :)

Niharika said...

So if I am not wrong, you mean retirement at the age of 40 ?? Yes, I am all for it. Even I have been thinking about it. I am particularly disturbed that due to the business that people get into (without much choice in the corporate sector)the major loss is that of the child !! As a woman, I always stand for children rights and I strongly feel that today's children deserve much more and better than what they are getting.

Every person has the right to live the way he/she wants to (as long as there is not harm to others). :)

mandelia said...

Absolutely rubbish,

We missed out a very important factor and thats rust. We are not the same at 40 as we are at 25.

Marrying at 40 mean kids reach 20 when one is 65 - 70 . We cannot live for ever. Also consider that it becomes physically difficult for a women to have a child at that age.

Puneet Parakh said...

I partially agree to you Mandelia sir. Agree its known (though not proven) that its difficult to give birth to a child at the age of 40+. But many Americans and Europeans are following this.
Rust, because a person is always struggling to keep balance in his life. If he is sure of one thing, he can concentrate his energies on it knowing that another phase of life is soon coming.
This is not a new concept. Even earlier there were 4 ashramas.
It depends on individuals views.
Thanks for the comments.